Divorce Mediation Services by Accredited Family Mediators in Peterborough, ON
Peterborough, Divorce Mediation & Separation Agreements
If you are separating or divorcing in Peterborough, you may want to consider our divorce mediation services. Divorce mediation is an alternative to the adversarial court process.
We have been assisting couples with their separation and divorce since 2008. Some of the benefits of using our divorce mediation and Separation Agreement services are:
- Save Time
- Save Money
- Reduce Stress
What is Divorce Mediation?
Divorce can be difficult and challenging. Divorce mediation is a less hostile alternative to traditional divorce proceedings, designed to make the entire process less complicated.
During Divorce Mediation, we create an environment that allows for both parties to reach an agreement in the presence of a neutral, Accredited Family Mediator, certified by The Ontario Association for Family Mediation. The process is collaborative, and helps both people find a common ground on different aspects of their separation, from financial matters to the parenting of your children.
Divorce mediation concludes with a legally binding Agreement, which offers a clear path forward for both you and your spouse.
Benefits of Divorce Mediation
- Cost-Effective: Avoid the high expenses of court proceedings. Our mediation process involves a single mediator, significantly reducing costs, compared to hiring individual attorneys.
- Privacy Assured: Mediation keeps your personal matters confidential, unlike public court hearings
- Time-Saving: Mediation accelerates the agreement process. Unlike the lengthy court battles, our direct negotiation approach lets you decide the timeline.
- Relationship Preservation: Our mediation fosters civil resolutions, helping maintain positive relationships post-divorce.
- Personal Control: You have the power to decide on the terms of your separation, offering more personal satisfaction than court-imposed decisions.
- Flexible Solutions: Personalize your Agreement to fit your unique family needs, a flexibility not possible in court.
As Accredited Family Mediators in Peterborough, We Can Guide You Through
For divorce, we can guide you through:
Child Support Calculations
All parents are legally obligated to support their children financially, regardless of their marital status or living arrangements. Child support covers essential living costs such as food, clothing, personal care, and primary and secondary educational expenses.
Our mediators will calculate the monthly child support, including any special or extraordinary costs, ensuring an equitable contribution towards your child’s needs.
A Parenting Plan is a roadmap for co-parenting after separation/divorce, designed to suit your family’s unique needs. It covers residential schedules, holiday arrangements, education, extracurricular activities, healthcare, travel, and parent communication. Creating a Parenting Plan can minimize future conflicts, foster stability, and provide clear guidelines. It also details the protocols for any future adjustments, for smooth parenting transitions.
Spousal Support Calculations
Spousal Support involves financial payments from one spouse to another after separation or divorce. Eligibility and amounts depend on various factors, unique to each marital or common-law situation.
Since calculating spousal support is complex, we do our best to simplify this process, offering guidance and information to help you reach a mutual agreement.
Property and Financial Settlements
Property division in separation often involves the higher-asset spouse making an “equalization payment” to balance out assets with the lower-asset spouse. These assets can take the form of homes, vehicles, bank accounts, investments, pensions, and businesses, along with debts like mortgages and loans.
Our mediators specialize in guiding you through this process, avoiding costly financial errors, leading to an equitable property equalization.
Legal Requirements for Divorce in Peterborough, Ontario
Divorce legally ends a marriage and allows for the parties to remarry. Grounds for divorce are limited to ‘marital breakdown’, demonstrated by living separately for a year, adultery, or cruelty. Most divorces are filed after a year’s separation.
A Separation Agreement alone doesn’t grant a divorce. To obtain a divorce, an application must be filed with a court in Canada. We assist couples in drafting and filing a Joint Divorce Application, streamlining the process towards official divorce proceedings.
Simplify Your Divorce With Our Expertly Drafted Separation Agreements
Book a FREE 30-minute, joint, online consultation to learn more about the mediation process and how we can support you through your separation and/or divorce.
How Does Divorce Mediation In Peterborough Work?
Watch this video to understand how we can help you with your separation or divorce mediation in Peterborough, Ontario. Our clients tell us they experience fewer legal issues, they do not have to deal with aggressive divorce lawyers and they appreciate the simplified legal information provided regarding support, parenting and division of property.
- Individual Meetings with Mediator: Your journey begins with a one-on-one session with our mediator. This private meeting will help the mediator understand your individual perspective, screen for the appropriateness of mediation, and address your concerns.
- Joint Mediation Sessions: Next, you and your ex-partner meet together with the mediator to discuss and negotiate the terms of your separation.
- Creating a Comprehensive Plan: Together, you’ll work towards establishing new family goals and financial plans. This stage is all about finding common ground and developing solutions that work for everyone involved.
- Drafting the Separation Agreement: Once you reach a solution, we draft a detailed Separation Agreement. This document formalizes the terms of your agreement in a legally binding document.
Guidance Through Final Steps: We don’t just stop at drafting the Agreement. Our team is here to guide you through the final steps of the process, promising a smooth transition into this new phase of your lives.
Additional Resources on Separation and Divorce in Peterborough
Here are some useful links to help you get started with your Peterborough separation agreement or divorce mediation:
Some cool facts about Peterborough that you probably did not know:
Peterborough is a city on the Otonabee River about 125 kilometres northeast of Toronto. According to the 2021 Census, the population of the City of Peterborough was 83,651. Peterborough is situated in within the Kawartha Lakes region. The city is sited on a series of rapids in the Otonabee River, approximately halfway between Katchewanooka Lake and Rice Lake. (The city surrounds Little Lake)
Peterborough would also see extensive industrial growth as one of the first places in the country to begin generating hydro-electrical power (even before the plants at Niagara Falls). Companies like Edison General Electric, Quaker Oats, PepsiCo, opened to take advantage of this new cheap resource.
Peterborough’s nickname in the distant past was “The Electric City” as it was the first town in Canada to use electric streetlights.
For full details about Peterborugh and it’s history, visit the
Peterborough Wikipedia page.
Book an Introductory Meeting for Divorce Mediation in Peterborough
**NOTE** All our meetings take place online. We do not offer in person meetings. Call us now or use the booking link below.
Positive Solutions Divorce Services®